<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 23, 2003

MOSES AND THE TEN SUGGESTIONS for Alabama

Boy, judging by the fervor flying in a courthouse in Alabama, you’d think we were entering the End Times, or Pre-Tribulation period when God would visit those of us remaining and smite us with his vengeance, clearly upping the snap of the puny Shock and Awe campaign that Rumsfeld throttled out to win the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people.

I’m sure that some Alabaman Christian Ayatollhas have got their panties in a wad over all of this. The pagan lobby, for as much as they have good intentions and really fun protest planning parties, never seems to show up to protest the protestors as planned. (But I know that my 503c company tax deductible donation will be used soon to effect a change). The fundamentalists are always center stage.

I can’t help but remember one of Moses’ contemporaneous chroniclers of history as it was happening. He wrote, Moses came down from the mount lugging two large, etched, granite slabs. Moses was reported to have said “Hear, or hear, ye Israelites. I’ve got good news, and I got bad news. The good news is that I got Him down to TEN. The bad news—adultery is still one of the ten.”

Personally, I think all this religious fundamentalism, regardless of whose god is better, is a Hell of a way to get to Heaven. But the fundies are beside themselves since the Supreme Court caved into the “Let my People blow” gay agenda lobby instead of sticking by a strict interpretation of the Judeo-Christian Bible. So they don’t want to lose another one for the big Gipper.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?