<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 13, 2006

VALLEY PSYCHIATRIST DIES - Dr. David Burgoyne
I saw the nice obituary of a Valley psychiatrist that I went to for about a year when I came back from Argentina. Dr. Burgoyne passed away at age 83. When I came back from my Mormon mission I wanted to see a Mormon psychiatrist, lest a more secular person tempt me away from the only true Church and Gospel. Did not want to see any gentile (as any non-Mormon is considered) shrink.

Dr. Burgoyne was able to convince me my sexual orientation issues were merely a delayed sexual development phase that I was going through. I'm sure that after a year of therapy he was equally convinced that was I solidly hetero. I chose him because he was one of the few Mormon psychiatrists, but also because I socialized with his son in the LDS fratenity at ASU before I went on my mission. And, as luck would have it some time after I was in the country, I had to greet his son at an airport in Mendoza, Argentina, on his way to his mission home in Buenos Aires. Small world.

In the 80's I used to think I should write him a letter to let him change that orientation checkmark to another column, but never did. And to his professional defense, I'm sure his diagnosis would have been decidedly different had I been more truthful with him. He probably would have been singing another pyschotherapy tune if I had leveled with him what a hottie his son was and wondered if his son liked to wrestle.

RIP, Dr. Burgoyne

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?